Our couch potato lifestyle is killing us at about the same rate as smoking. It’s not just sitting at home on the couch that’s doing the damage, its sitting for hours on end at our desk at work.
The average Australian office worker sits for almost 16 HOURS PER DAY. This includes sitting on the tram/car, sitting down at the work desk, sitting for lunch and dinner and then again on the couch at home.
A number of studies have shown that prolonged sitting is linked to
– heart disease
This list is almost identical to those of prolonged smoking.
If you sit for just 6 or more hours per day you are 40% more likely to die within 15 years than those who sit for less than 3 hours per day.
Not only that an increase in sitting time means there is less time to be active, contributing to the figure of 63% of Australians currently being overweight or obese!
So how can you reduce your sitting time in the workplace?
1. Having a walking meeting instead of sitting at the table
2. When on a phone call get up and walk around the office
3. Invest in a workstation that allows you to stand or sit.
4. Get off the chair at your desk for a while and kneel on your knees or sit on a fit ball
5. Arrange a FREE workplace presentation from one of chiropractors on how to sit right and improve your posture at the desk
WATCH THIS VIDEO BELOW to learn exactly WHY sitting for so long is killing you.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.